Harness racing begins Mercer County Fair Week
Horse racing started off the 2009 Mercer County Fair Monday, July 13, at 1 p.m. The fair will run through Saturday, July 18. Specials throughout the week include:
* Tuesday night: 6:30 p.m. Queen, Junior Miss and Little Miss pageant.
* Wednesday night: Kids Day - noon to 4 p.m. at carnival; 6:30 p.m. 4x4 Truck Tug of War (new event).
* Thursday night: Democrat Day; Senior Citizen's Day - all day; 6:30 p.m. New Windsor Drill team, followed by Draft Horse Pull.
* Friday night: Republican Day; 6:30 p.m. Truck and Tractor Pull
* Saturday night: Bike Night (motorcycle riders half price) 6:30 p.m. Demolition Derby.
The Merchant's building for the 2009 version of the Mercer County Fair has been sold out according to John Malone who has been busy filling the structure.
Twenty-three businesses have agreed to fill the building this year making this year's offering a special one.
Homework Central out of Moline, the Mercer County Historical Society, Regional Office of Education, and the Mercer County Democrats have reserved two booths apiece this year.
Several government offices will have a presence this year including the Illinois Secretary of State, Social Security Administration and the Mercer County Health Department.
The tastiest booth will undoubtedly be the Westmer Larger Parish booth which is famous for making root beer floats each year for the fair.
The Mercer County Golden Eagle Spirit Shop will be offering merchandize featuring the new Mercer County School district's mascot, The Golden Eagle.
Other booths belong to State Farm insurance agent Justin Cook; Heritage Woods of Aledo; Edward Jones Agent Tony Holtschlag; THE National Bank; Messiah Lutheran Church; Midwest Bank of Western Illinois (Mercer County Banking Center); Boney's Farm Store, Avon products agent LuAnn Johnson; Mercer County YMCA; EcoWater of Moline; Mercer County Hospital Auxiliary (Thursday only); Blick & Blick Oil; Mercer County Republicans and Humana Insurance.