Come to Joy on Saturday, June 11
Joy is hosting its annual community festival all day Saturday, June 11, complete with food, parade, entertainment, kids games and an antique tractor, truck and car show.
From 6 to 10 a.m. the Joy Fireman's breakfast will be held at the fire station for a free will donation. Mercer County High School's class of 2013 will have a bake sale starting at 7 p.m. at the fire station.
Joy is also hosting a city-wide yard sale starting at 7 a.m. Yesterday's Treasures will have a craft and flea market in the old lumberyard building, phone (309) 582-2747 to register a spot.
Signup for the antique vehicle show is at the park at 11 a.m., with a free shirt given to the first 100 cars to sign in and a free plaque to all tractors.
Other area groups are sponsoring events or food stands including:
* 11 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Boy Scout Troop 406 lunch stand in the park
* 3 - 7 p.m., Joy United Methodist Church homemade ice cream social at the park
* 11 a.m., Mercer County Junior High cheerleaders pop and water stand
* 11 a.m. New Boston Girl Scouts bake sale
* 1 - 7 p.m. Mercer County Pompon squad face painting
Firemen's entertainment includes a kids and adults water barrel fight from noon to 2 p.m.
One activity that might be of interest to both kids and adults is a golf putting game starting at 11 a.m. in the park. The MCHS Class of 2013 is sponsoring that.
Kids games will be held in the park from noon to whenever they finish, sponsored by Joy Baptist Church.
The Main Street parade starts at 4 p.m. with lineup on West Street starting at 3:30 p.m.
Entertainment will be provided at the park:
* 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Terrill Sisters
* 1 - 2:30 p.m. Mercer County Jazz Band and Generation Singers
* 5 - 7 p.m. Myrna Rae's Studio of Dance
Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and enjoy Joy that Saturday.