Sherrard BOE tax levy hearing set
A tax levy hearing will be held at 6 p.m. on Dec. 17 at the Sherrard Unit office. The hearing is needed because the amount estimated for the district's Equalized Assessed Valuation is on the rise, according to Sherrard Superintendent Rebecca Rodocker. The rate for homeowners in Sherrard Community for next year is $4.5686 per $100 of assessed valuation, the same as last year's rate. The EAV estimate for next year is $142,000,000, up from last year's EAV of $131,500,000. The two counties within the School District are Rock Island County and Mercer County. The superintendent said the district should receive an 8.25 percent increase in EAV from the previous year.
The board discussed some options for the tax rate at the Nov. 19 meeting, she said. One thing the board has to look at is if the district does not levy at the highest rate it can, the state aid formula penalizes the school district.
The board decided to not raise the levy rate from last year.
"What's good for a community is when you get new industry and housing and commercial, because they help with raising the amount needed for the school," said Rodocker.
The board received information from the district auditor on the 2007-2008 audit. "Our audit was very good. We had no issues," she said.
In other business the board:
• Approved a farm ground lease of around 30 acres of district land to Jim Zwicker, for $4,800.
• Agreed to add a supervisory staff person at Sherrard elementary for around 2.5 hours a day.
• Approved a 10 cent increase in lunch prices beginning the second semester of the 2008-2009 school year and 15 cents for the 2009-2010 school year, with a review at the end of the 2008-2009 school year.
• Learned that the Village of Viola is establishing a Tax Increment Financing Redevelopment area within the village and is holding a public hearing on the matter at 6 p.m. on Dec. 22 at the Viola Village Hall, 1305 - 17th Ave., Viola.
• Approved Teresa Bell and Gloria Buttgen as election officers, to receive board petitions for the April election.
• Approved resignations as follows: Nacole Jackson, sign language interpreter, Sherrard High School, effective Dec. 19, 2008 and Marilyn Nesbitt, science instructor, Sherrard Junior High School, effective March 13, 2009.
• Approved hiring Cory Crandall, ninth grade girls' basketball coach, effective immediately, per contract stipend; Marco Mayne, volunteer wrestling coach, pending ASEP and background check; Melissa Gorski, volunteer girls' basketball coach; Debra Neese, office clerk, Matherville Intermediate School, two hrs. per day at $7.75 per hour, effective immediately and Molly Kindelsperger, classroom instructional aide, Sherrard Elementary School, six hrs. per day at $9.35 per hour, effective immediately.