Buildings get new, old names
The Mercer County School Board named the buildings of the new school district at the March 18 meeting.
New building names will be: Mercer County High School, New Boston Elementary School, Apollo Elementary School, Mercer County Junior High and Mercer County Intermediate. The vote was unanimous.
There was some discussion about changing the name of Apollo. Board member Don Yates said he had heard from three people who wanted all the buildings names changed so the district could start with a fresh slate.
Apollo Principal Bill Fleuette said Apollo was a unique name referring back to the Apollo missions of 1969 when the building was built. Fleuette said the teachers asked unanimously to keep the buildings name the same.
In other business:
- The board agreed to join the Illinois Association of School Boards.
- The board agreed to form a committee to handle food issues with Mike Retherford, Trisha Hank and Doug Ball as members. The committee has the ability to add other members as it sees fit.
- Alan Boucher announced that the superintendent's office would be moved to the junior high building.
- Boucher will review the advantages and disadvantages of having the high school's day 30 minutes longer.
- The board will review changes to the high school student handbook. Boucher took the books from Aledo and Westmer and merged it into one book.
- The board approved the contract of the Interim Superintendent of Schools
- Adopted quality points for high school courses.