CSC Invites Public Comments

Staff Writer
Aledo Times Record

Carl Sandburg College will undergo a comprehensive evaluation visit Nov. 8-10, 2010, by a team representing The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Carl Sandburg College has been accredited by the Commission since 1974. Its accreditation is at the associate degree level and includes degree sites at various other locations within the state.

The Higher Learning Commission is one of six accrediting agencies in the United States that provide institutional accreditation on a regional basis. Institutional accreditation evaluates an entire institution and accredits it as a whole. Other agencies provide accreditation for specific programs. Accreditation is voluntary. The Commission accredits approximately 1,100 institutions of higher education in a 19 state region. The Commission is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

For the past year and half, Carl Sandburg College has been engaged in a process of self-study, addressing the Commission’s requirements and criteria for accreditation. The evaluation team will visit the institution to gather evidence that the self-study is thorough and accurate. The team will recommend to the Commission a continuing status for the College; following a review process, the Commission itself will take the final action.

The public is invited to submit comments regarding the College to:

Public Comment on Carl Sandburg College

The Higher Learning Commission

30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400

Chicago, IL 60602

Comments must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution or it academic programs. Written, signed comments must be received by Oct. 8, 2010. The Commission cannot guarantee that comments received after the due date will be considered. Comments should include the name, address, and telephone number of the person providing the comments. Comments will not be treated as confidential.

Note: Individuals with a specific dispute or grievance with an institution should request the separate Policy on Complaints document from the Commission office. The Higher Learning Commission cannot settle disputes between institutions and individuals. Complaints will not be considered third party comment.