22nd Annual Poetry Competition Entries Due March 10
Carl Sandburg College is seeking entries for the twenty-second annual Carl Sandburg College Poetry award competition. Poems will be judged in three categories: elementary (1st through 5th grade), intermediate (6th through 12th grade), and adult. Winners will be recognized at an awards ceremony at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 14, at Carl Sandburg College. The ceremony is an event during the Sandburg Days Festival which runs April 13-17. Gifts and certificates will be presented to first-, second-, and third-place winners in each category. All category winners may read their compositions and receive their gifts. All winning poems will be published in a booklet that will be distributed at the ceremony.
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES:
1. Each contestant must be a resident of Carl Sandburg College District 518.
2. Each contestant may enter one poem only.
3. The poem must be typed, double-spaced, with the contestant's name, address, phone number and age category in the upper right-hand corner.
4. The paper used should be a good quality bond paper.
5. Poems must be original and previously unpublished.
6. Poems should not be more than two pages.
7. While there are no thematic restrictions, the poet should avoid obvious vulgarities, gratuitous sensationalism or obscenity. The poet should demonstrate wit, intelligence, imagination and the apt treatment of sound image and concept. Poems may be free verse or written in pre-established forms (sonnet, sestina, etc.).
8. While the poet will retain all rights of authorship, the poet will grant to Carl Sandburg College the right to publish any or all of the work, or use it for publicity purposes, without the payment of royalties or fees. Entries will not be returned.
9. All submissions must be received at the following address no later than Wednesday, March 10, 2011: Carol Petersen, English/Speech Coordinator, Humanities and Performing Arts, Carl Sandburg College, 2400 Tom Wilson Blvd., Galesburg, IL 61401.